Saturday
morning of the 22nd was warm and sunny as we pulled away at 8:20. The wife said
a tearful goodbye to Patch and I as we drove off … and had to return from a
couple blocks away realizing we forgot one of her gifts. On our second
departure we stopped at Sprouts for some snacks and sandwiches, and hit the
highway.
We made
good time that day. Patch, with her newly-minted drivers license, volunteered for
two hours behind the wheel as we crossed into Arkansas. We drove over the
Mississippi, watched the Corolla’s odometer flip from 129,999 to 130,000 with
much aplomb, drove through the briefest of rainstorms (the only time on the
College Road Trip it rained while we were in the car), and avoided a five-mile-long
traffic jam (thanks Waze!). There was a little drama as we encountered what had to be
a drunk driver – swerving, accelerating, braking, and even once
riding right up to my bumper.
Patch found
us a hotel via Priceline at a Comfort Suites in Lebanon, TN. We stopped for
dinner at a connecting restaurant (I had a cheeseburger, she a Caesar’s salad).
Next morning we raided the continental breakfast and checked out, back on the
road by 10. Patch volunteered more time behind the wheel – this time, three
hours! – as we meandered through the gorgeous Appalachians in Eastern Tennessee
and Virginia. Dinner was short and sweet at a Wendy’s. (Our first choice was Chik-fil-A,
but we couldn’t figure out why it was closed, until we realized it was a Sunday.)
By mistake Patch booked a hotel 140 miles up the road, so we continued on
through West Virginia, Virginia, Maryland, and up to New Columbia, Pennsylvania
in the dark until we stopped at a Comfort Inn by 9:30 pm.
After
another continental breakfast raid we were back on the road by 9:30. We had but
four hours to reach my parent’s home in Pennsylvania’s northeast corner. What a
joy and blessing it was to arrive at their house that afternoon. I rewarded myself
with two Heineken NAs as Patch unboxed all the college dorm supplies we had
shipped. My mom made us taco soup with large egg noodles for dinner. They went
to bed by 8, and Patch and I stayed up a little bit longer, watched a Matt Pat
video (why the eagles couldn’t just fly Frodo to Mount Doom) and a funny,
over-the-top cartoonishly gory Cory Kenshin game.
Tuesday was
a day of leisure. The weather was overcast and cool – at least by Texas
standards. After egg-in-the-baskets we drove to a thrift shop where Patch
bought a couple of black shirts and I picked up He Leadeth Me by Walter
Ciszek and the St Joseph Baltimore Catechism. Back home Patch made 60 – sixty! –
cookies, which she planned to hand out at school to her dormmates the next day.
My parents took us out to dinner (and my mother bought me a T-shirt the
restaurant sold). Then, taking advantage of the remaining daylight, we loaded
my stepfather’s Camry with Patch’s supplies, and everything fit, though we
accidently broke her five-foot long mirror. Another Cory video, then bedtime.
Wednesday
was school drop off day. My mother joined us as we left around 8:30, again
after packing a couple of sandwiches. I drove to Patch’s school 90 minutes
away. We arrived by 10:15 and I was so impressed with the school’s handling of
Move In Day. It seemed there was a student helper in school colors every fifty
feet to answer questions. We were guided to the building where Patch picked up
her ID and room keys, then were guided to her dorm itself. We drove up a short
winding road and parked – and were immediately surrounded by a dozen students
who helped unload the car completely and brought everything up to her room on
the third floor. Turns out the building was elevator-free, so those college
kids saved me a potential heart attack or two.
We spent
the next three hours unpacking and setting up her room. Her roommate and her family
were there, too (we met them a few weeks earlier at a school mixer in Texas). A
quick trip to Target for a pillow and replacement mirror, and we ate our sandwiches.
Patch gave us a quick tour of the campus (what she remembered from her visit the
prior summer), which included the student center, the bookstore (I bought a
pen, my mother a shot glass, and Patch a school pennant and key chain). We made
a quick stop at the chapel, which was cool and peaceful.
Then – the
Goodbye. Patch hugged her grammy and then me. I had a lump in my throat as we
said our farewells. Our eyes met one last time for the briefest – and longest –
of moments, then she disappeared inside her dorm. My mom and I then drove home.
Thursday
was another day of relaxation for me before my solo return voyage. My mother
brought me to three local bookstores she found, and I wound up purchasing The
Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo, Dr. No by Ian Fleming, and
the Civil War nonfiction paperback Terrible Swift Sword by Bruce Catton.
She also gifted me with eight of my stepfather’s golf shirts he no longer fits
into. We ate at a locally-famous wing place for dinner, then I read and relaxed after
we got back home.
I left
Pennsylvania at 8:20 Friday morning and pretty much drove straight through
until checking in to a Red River Inn at 6:15. I went out for dinner at –
finally! – Chik-fil-A. I chatted with the Mrs. for a bit, showered, then read a
hundred or so pages of my current read, Father Elijah by Michael D. O’Brien.
I left again at 8:20 the next morning, stopped at a McD’s for dinner (and used
a minimum-wage-worker replacement kiosk for the first time), then checked into
a Super 8 at 6:30, and repeated my evening ritual. Left at 9:25 on Sunday and
got home in Texas a little before 2 pm.
My 23-hour-drive
home was quite an experience for me. I did not listen to any music or the audio
book I downloaded. I kept the odometer between 75 and 80 and let anyone and
everyone pass me whoever wanted, no questions asked. It was an extraordinary
Zen drive for me. I thought a lot – a lot – about big, existential questions.
I was floored by the utmost beauty of middle America – Virginia and Eastern
Tennessee standing out to me, as well as sections of Pennsylvania, Arkansas,
and West Virginia. The time and the miles flew by inexplicably fast, and when I
got home, I was ready to go back on the road again.
All-in-all,
the College Road Trip of 2026 had a total mileage of 3,135. Basically the
distance between Augusta, Maine and San Diego, California. My old 2013 Toyota
Corolla drove like a champ, the unspoken MVP of the trip, never giving us a
scare, never failing us. My 18 hours driving out and 23 hours driving back was
easily a record for me. Patch herself impressed me with five hours behind the wheel
with 18-wheelers in front, back, and beside, with no issue at all despite still
being a brand-new driver. It was a great tip, a great bonding experience. We
talked about college, about life, nostalgically chatted about things past, and
things that might happen in the future. She napped in the passenger seat and I
looked at her, remembering all those pictures she drew as a child, all those
soccer games and practices I watched her, and all those times we made each
other laugh.
All-in-all,
a great Road Trip.
No comments:
Post a Comment