Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Science Fiction Reading Plan


Part One (which should take me up to my launch date).

Okay, since I am working diligently on self-publishing my two novels and have set a goal for this fall (for the first one) and Christmas (for the second), I have realized I am wasting a dozen hours a week.

How?

By reading.  Since both my novels are firmly entrenched in the science fiction genre, and likewise the trio I have unwritten yet on tap, what the heck am I doing reading

Westerns
Medieval History
Philosophy
Theology
Conspiracy-theory stuff
Baseball stuff

I realized that in the past year I've only read a handful of true science fiction (a Clarke, a pair of Silverbergs, and a classic or two or three).  Now, I appreciate the value in being a well-rounded reader and writer, but I think I have been neglecting my chosen field a tad bit too much.

So I went down to the shelf behind my writing desk and plucked a half-dozen shamefully neglected paperbacks and stacked them right next to the Dell monitor.  They are:

The Space Merchants by Frederik Pohl and C.M. Morn kith
Tom O'Bedlam by Robert Silverberg
Hammer's Slammers by David Drake
The Deathworld Trilogy by Harry Harrison
Dorsai! by Gordon R. Dickson
The World at the End of Time by Frederik Pohl

Heavy on the testosterone, yes.  Heavy on the science fiction, double yes.

I intend to read all of them in my down time, one after the other.  Absorb them into the bloodstream and brainstream, and simultaneously recharge my energies and realign my voyage, navigating to these bejeweled stars.

Part Two comes this Fall ...

No comments: