Friday, August 26, 2016

The Billionaire Index


Conservatives enjoy casting George Soros as the super-evil maniacally-messianic billionaire tweaking U.S. politics and machinating the downfall of American culture like a sinister marionette string-master. For liberals, their super-evil maniacally-messianic billionaire tweaking U.S. politics and machinating the downfall of American culture like a sinister marionette string-master is actually a pair of brothers with the last name of Koch. I’d like to try to put this all in humble perspective, and since I’m currently skimming a bio of George Soros, let me put it all in terms relative to him.

A quick Google inquiry tells me that Soros has a net worth of slightly under $25,000,000,000.

Let’s round up and proclaim the unit of 1 Soros = $25 billion.

His diametric foes in the super-evil blah blah blah category, Bill and Charles Koch, are each worth, from what I understand, 1.75 Soros (for a combined 3.5 Soros score). So the conservative super-evil blah blah blah outnumbers the liberal counterpart seven to two. That should give some perspective and some comfort to those who fear the palindromed philanthropist philosopher money market maestro from Hungary.

For a business world / world headlines comparison, the following clock in at

Mark Zuckerberg – 2.2 Soros
Warren Buffet – 2.7 Soros
Bill Gates – 3.1 Soros

Our wonderful 2016 Presidential candidates yield

Donald Trump – 0.2 Soros
Hillary Clinton – 0.002 Soros

Though who really knows for certain with those two.

Finally, in the interest of full if slightly anonymous disclosure, I offer myself, Hopper. Now, to be truthfully honest, I have no idea of my own net worth. Living in a blue state with two children yet to attend college, house poor and bouncing from one job to the next (when not unemployed), it ain’t much. But if I had to throw out a figure, with a few seconds quick calculation of what I can see with my eyes around me, I’d put it as …

0.000003 Soros

Yikes! Better finish that book on Soros and invest some take-home pay …


There. Perspective.


No comments: