Thursday, October 12, 2017

Prophetic?


Came across the 1867 poem “Dover Beach” by Matthew Arnold a week or so ago and still can not get the third stanza out of my mind:


The Sea of Faith
Was once, too, at the full, and round earth’s shore
Lay like the folds of a bright girdle furled.
But now I only hear
Its melancholy, long, withdrawing roar,
Retreating, to the breath
Of the night-wind, down the vast edges drear
And naked shingles of the world.


To me this encapsulates perfectly – oh too perfectly – that dim and obscure feeling that descends upon me when I read of what’s happening to the Catholic faith post-Vatican II, the changes currently test-driven by Francis and his cohorts, and the steroidal tsunami of transformation that’s molding our world like a brutal calloused sculptor that serves no master but itself.

Or am I being too histrionic?


now I only hear

Its melancholy, long, withdrawing roar,

Retreating …



No comments: