Friday, February 2, 2018

Doctor Rumack



DOCTOR: Captain, how soon can you land?

CAPTAIN: I can’t tell you.

DOCTOR: You can tell me, I’m a doctor.

CAPTAIN: No, I mean, I’m just not sure.

DOCTOR: Well, can’t you take a guess?

CAPTAIN: Not for another two hours.

DOCTOR: You can’t take a guess for another two hours?

CAPTAIN: No, we can’t land for another two hours.


Yes, it’s one of the many classic interchanges from the movie Airplane! with Leslie Nielsen playing the doctor and Peter Graves the airline captain.

Little One and I watched it yesterday on my night off. Oh how hard we laughed. Patch sat in periodically and chuckled too. The scene where the husband takes a second cup of coffee from the stewardess and the wife thinks, echoing, Jim never drinks a second cup of coffee at home … only to be followed ten minutes later by Jim, barfing after being food poisoned, and the wife again pondering in echoes Jim never vomits at home … had tears streaming down my eyes, and tears down Little One’s when she noticed the tears down mine.

Ah, good binding times.

Next on deck: The Naked Gun (fast-forwarding through the risqué stuff, of course). Time to introduce my little playwright to the comedic genius of Leslie Nielsen.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Classic, classic, classic. The actors in that movie that revealed their comedic sides - Leslie Neilson, Robert Stack, Peter Graves, Lloyd Bridges and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (My dad says you're lazy).

Uncle

Anonymous said...

Oh and my all time favorite sequence --- "We have to get this man to a hospital." "What is it?" "It's a big building with patients, but never mind that now."

Uncle