Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Pound This



“A slave is one who waits for someone to come and free him.”

― Ezra Pound


My only encounter with Pound was with his Cantos some fourteen or fifteen years ago. I recall being alternately drawn yet repelled by them, and ultimately decided to put it on my Acquisitions List. Remarkably, throughout the years, I have never encountered this massive tome of poetry in any used book store. Must mean something, I assume. After all, browse any Religion section of a used book store you’ll find dozens of books by tired dissidents – but consider yourself lucky if you find an Aquinas or Augustine. Now, not implying that Pound was / is spiritual meat, just that the Cantos must be valued by their owners out there in the world.

This quote just punched me hard in the gut when I came across it this afternoon.

Have an antidote which I’ll offer up tomorrow …

No comments: