Friday, May 24, 2019

Morning Song of Senlin




IT is morning, Senlin says, and in the morning          
When the light drips through the shutters like the dew,        
I arise, I face the sunrise,       
And do the things my fathers learned to do. 
Stars in the purple dusk above the rooftops           
Pale in a saffron mist and seem to die,          
And I myself on swiftly tilting planet           
Stand before a glass and tie my tie.   
 
Vine-leaves tap my window, 
Dew-drops sing to the garden stones,  
The robin chirps in the chinaberry tree           
Repeating three clear tones.   
 
It is morning. I stand by the mirror    
And tie my tie once more.     
While waves far off in a pale rose twilight      
Crash on a white sand shore. 
I stand by a mirror and comb my hair:           
How small and white my face!—      
The green earth tilts through a sphere of air  
And bathes in a flame of space.           
There are houses hanging above the stars      
And stars hung under a sea... 
And a sun far off in a shell of silence
Dapples my walls for me....   
 
It is morning, Senlin says, and in the morning             
Should I not pause in the light to remember God?    
Upright and firm I stand on a star unstable,  
He is immense and lonely as a cloud.
I will dedicate this moment before my mirror           
To him alone, for him I will comb my hair.     
Accept these humble offerings, clouds of silence!    
I will think of you as I descend the stair.      
 
Vine-leaves tap my window, 
The snail-track shines on the stones;  
Dew-drops flash from the chinaberry tree       
Repeating two clear tones.     
 
It is morning, I awake from a bed of silence,
Shining I rise from the starless waters of sleep.         
The walls are about me still as in the evening,           
I am the same, and the same name still I keep.            
The earth revolves with me, yet makes no motion,    
The stars pale silently in a coral sky.  
In a whistling void I stand before my mirror,
Unconcerned, and tie my tie. 
 
There are horses neighing on far-off hills        
Tossing their long white manes,         
And mountains flash in the rose-white dusk,
Their shoulders black with rains....    
It is morning, I stand by the mirror    
And surprise my soul once more;         
The blue air rushes above my ceiling,
There are suns beneath my floor....    
 
...It is morning, Senlin says, I ascend from darkness 
And depart on the winds of space for I know not where;    
My watch is wound, a key is in my pocket,    
And the sky is darkened as I descend the stair.        
There are shadows across the windows, clouds in heaven,   
And a god among the stars; and I will go     
Thinking of him as I might think of daybreak           
And humming a tune I know....           
 
Vine-leaves tap at the window,         
Dew-drops sing to the garden stones,
The robin chirps in the chinaberry tree           
Repeating three dear tones.   


Nice musical musings from American poet Conrad Aiken (1889-1973), first come to my attention during the day’s lunch break.

No comments: