Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Lost in the Woods




Charles Morse: You know, I once read an interesting book which said that, uh, most people lost in the wilds, they, they die of shame.

Stephen: What?

Charles Morse: Yeah, see, they die of shame. “What did I do wrong? How could I have gotten myself into this?” And so they sit there and they ... die. Because they didn’t do the one thing that would save their lives.

Robert Green: And what is that, Charles?

Charles Morse: Thinking.

- from The Edge, 1997 survival flick starring Anthony Hopkins


A favorite of mine. Just re-watched the movie the other day and introduced it to Little One. And it got me all retrospective. Hopper hasn’t really done any serious thinking in a long time. Goofy thinking, half-assed thinking, non- and un-serious thinking, sure. But real, serious, life-altering thinking? No, not for a long time. Not since 2015. Definitely not since 2015.

Perhaps it’s time to spend some time in thought …


No comments: