Sunday, January 19, 2020

Schwarzeneggerian



One of my New Year’s resolutions was to get physically fit. I’m a firm believer in the mind-body connection, and when you got a million things you want to do, it’s best to start first with the physical.

So far I’ve kept myself on track this year.

I’ve walked a total of 29.5 miles.

More importantly, I’ve pushed nearly 30 tons of iron.

30 tons of iron? How so, Hopper?




Well, five days a week I do two sets of ten exercises. Mostly one-arm stuff with dumbbells. The sixth day I do three sets. Day seven is a Day of Rest.

I load 33 pounds of weight onto a dumbbell for my one-arm curls. Two sets of twelve means I’ve moved 792 pounds of metal. Since January 1, I’ve curled 13,761 pounds, or nearly 6.9 tons.

I like thinking like that. It’s a great motivator.

I’ve also curbed my carbs by 75 percent, and made up the difference with protein. I’m not quite minus 10 pounds of body weight for the year, though. Partly because, I guess, I really haven’t cut back on my caloric intake, just switched the types of foods I’m eating. Ultimately I’ll have to lose 30 pounds, but if my body mass has shifted from my belly to my arms, chest, shoulders, thighs, and calves, maybe I could live with a 20-pound weight loss, keeping 50+ year old me under 200 pounds.

We’ll see; it’s a work in progress.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You go, boy!