Saturday, August 28, 2021

Rewards of the Job Hunt

 

Treated myself to $10 worth of books at the local used book shop earlier today.


Why?


Well, still unemployed, but I’ve been casting a wide net. Relatively speaking, that is. Because the wife travels unpredictably, I have to work in a 15-mile radius from our new home, mostly for the girls and their school activities. I also want to make the same amount of $ I was making back up north. This limits me somewhat.


With that in mind, I’m still unemployed after a month of searching. I’ve spoken to two headhunters. I’ve had a first and second interview with a local major corporation. I took an online psych evaluation for another job opportunity (and probably failed, because don’t we all, with those tests? Or at least think we do, playing a balancing act between complete honesty and what we think the hiring agent wants to hear?). I’ve applied to nine other jobs on Glassdoor, Indeed, and LinkedIn.


But I’ve given myself a par of 90 days.


So I decided to reward my efforts with a quartet of old, classic SF paperbacks:

 



I’m still adhering to my early reading plan; almost half way done with it in fact. I’m two-thirds done with Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein, and I must admit it’s much more readable than I remembered when I last transversed those pages sophomore year of high school, though it is less philosophically satisfying than adult me was looking forward to. But I’ll save that for a review later on.


Speaking of reviews, I read a great book recently and have to promote it. That will come either tomorrow or Monday.


As far as the new batch of books goes, I don’t have a plan. Three of the four clock in at 200 pages each, so they’ll be fast reads. The fourth, The Proteus Operation, is double that. It’s one of those, would you go back in time to kill Hitler type tales, with a twist. My goal is to put all four away in a single month, maybe November or possibly December, whenever I get through my current reading plan.


Well, continued happy reading! Hopefully I’ll be employed before I get to dust these latest paperbacks off.


No comments: