Sunday, July 10, 2022

The National Museum of the Pacific War Pt. 2

 

My favorite part of last weekend’s trip to the Museum of the Pacific War in Fredericksburg, Texas – and definitely the favorite part for my seven-year-old twin nephews, too – were the life-size artifacts from World War II. Planes, tanks, guns and bombs. It really provided a new angle to all the reading I’ve been doing over the past two years. Brought it more to life. Yeah, you can look at all the pictures of B-24 bombers in the world, but when you see one twenty feet away, it grants things a truer perspective.


Anyway, here are the highlights from the trip:

 



B-25 bomber





F4 Wildcat





M3 Stuart Tank





3-inch Japanese gun





Japanese triple barrel gun (25mm)





Garand M1 rifle





Japanese 35mm gun





American BOFORS gun - rapid fire 40mm cannon





Japanese "Rex" float plane





Japanese "Val" dive bomber. Reddish tint due to being behind a screen and seen only once the five-minute concluding film finishes.





Mock "Fat Man" bomb - Plutonium bomb dropped on Nagasaki. If I were to stand next to it the top of my head would be at the level of the black rectangle near the top center.


My only regret is that I did not think to get a picture of that midget Japanese sub, the first exhibit in the museum. I’ll get it then when we return in three years, when the boys are a little older and my girls go on the tour with us to escape the brutal south Texas heat.



No comments: