Friday, March 14, 2008

The Burden of Hopperhood

Where to start? I, LE, am a hopper. What is a hopper? Perhaps this will explain.

I am a writer (unpublished, of course), currently working on the first draft of my third novel. The other two are finished but floating in quantum limbo, unread, unsent, on my laptop. I also write short stories and book reviews. So far, just for my own edification and enjoyment. Like most writers, I'm a voracious reader. And an insatiable book buyer. At last count I have a fifty-one books on deck. And even though I read two or three books concurrently, I'll never catch up because that deck is consistently replenished.

I exercise. Somewhat on a regular basis. Yoga, weight training, cardio via an exercise bike. I'm always tweaking my diet, and remain faithful to such tweaks for more than a day on occasion. Yet I'm still overweight. Overstressed. So, I meditate. I pray. I explore Eastern religion and work on deepening my Catholic faith. Sometimes I even manage a good night's sleep.

I'm married, with a very young daughter. Another baby on the way. Job from hell that pays too much to quit but not enough to pay the bills. My heart's awry, and I struggle with a host of soft addictions.

The TV's a challenge, time management-wise, as is web surfing. And music - I've played in a band, fiddle around on the guitar, still listen to a walkman. Always looking for the next big genre, which might be any style over the past couple hundred years. Classical, chant, jazz, metal, blues ... and always on the hunt for fresh melodies.

On the hunt. Did I mention I'm rabid for books? If I just keep looking, searching online, hunting the used book stores, stalking through libraries, suddenly, out of nowhere, noticeable only if I'm on my game, I'll find - The Book.

What's this to do with hopping?

Try this.

Close your eyes. Point your finger anywhere on the screen above. Where did it land? On the words "Eastern religion"? Okay. Try it again. "Voracious reader." Good. Repeat. "Baby on the way." Keep going. Over and over. Maybe a dozen times.

That word your finger fell on? That's my focus. That's what absorbs me. Only problem is, in real life, it only absorbs me for anywhere from a few minutes to, if I'm lucky, a few days. Then, on to the next thing, then the next, followed by the next.

Oh, to be a hopper.

No comments: