Friday, June 20, 2008

Composers Pt 3


Is classical music hazardous to your health?

Skimming though my Dictionary of Composers, I was really amazed to see so many talented composers have died at an early age. There are eight alone that died in their thirties. And these eight are some of the best and brightest. That shocked me. Here, take a look:


* Franz Schubert died at age 31, possibly from typhoid fever or mercury poisoning, which was used to treat syphilis, which he had since the age of 22. He composed nine symphonies (one Unfinished), over 600 ‘songs’, opera and chamber music. Extremely productive during his short life.

* Vincenzo Bellini died at 33 from an inflammation of the intestine. Known mainly for his operas. I’ve listened to La Sonnambula and Norma, and though they’re not exactly what I look for in opera, I recognize that they are very, very good for their style.

* Mozart died at age 35. No further comment except that this could be the greatest injustice in the history of Music.

* Henry Purcell died at age 36 of most likely tuberculosis, though other theories, such as chocolate poisoning, have been advanced. He was England’s greatest baroque composer.

* Georges Bizet died at age 36 (on his third wedding anniversary). Another truly tragic loss. Most famous for Carmen, my first opera. But I also enjoy L’Arlesienne Suites 1 and 2 as well as the Symphony in C, written when Georges was all but 16.

* Felix Mendelssohn died at age 38 after a series of strokes. Due to stress and overwork, he spent the last five years of his life ailing, but the final blow came after the death of his beloved sister. Many, many, many superb works by this man. Among my favorites: Hebrides Overture (aka Fingal’s Cave), Midsummer Night’s Dream Overture, Symphony No. 4 in A (Italian, but I call it the Indiana Jones symphony – listen, you’ll see why).

* George Gershwin died at age 38 following surgery on a brain tumor. Not quite classical nor romantic nor modern with the huge jazzy influx into his music, but counted here nonetheless. Again, a true loss. In addition to Rhapsody in Blue and An American in Paris, I find the Cuban Overture to be phenomenal.

* Frederic Chopin died at age 39 of tuberculosis. Though I prefer the flashy flamboyance of Liszt at the keyboards over Chopin, the latter is an undeniable genius. The one CD I have of his music contain some of the most moody, melodic, moving piano music I’ve heard.

But on further inspection of my Dictionary, I see that I am somewhat alarmist. Eight early deaths in a sampling of 180 individuals is not statistically notable. This is, after all, an occupation known for its longevity. Another quick tally and I note that 26 have reached an age past 75; that number swells to 40 if you include those men who reached at least 70. My all-time favorite, Jean Sibelius, attained his tenth decade, dying at age 91. And the great Verdi lived to see 87. Verdi composed one of his greatest operas (and my favorite of his), Falstaff, at age 80, and the Stabat Mater at age 84 – as well as founding an old-age Home for Musicians.

No comments: