Sunday, June 22, 2008

Marsalis

Winton Marsalis has been quoted as saying:

Jazz has seldom been learned except by patient listening and practice. But no one practices much anymore. Nobody wants to do what's necessary to learn to play well - I mean learning what music in all its forms has to offer and then the long hours of practice and improving. Youngsters today are too impatient.

(William Raspberry, "Laziness Is Killing Writing and Jazz," Washington Post syndicated column, June 23, 1994.)

What a wonderful quote! I need to print it out and frame it and hang it on the wall by my writing desk. I also need to see this column to see what is said about the art of writing. I agree with Mr. Marsalis' assessment and understand what he says needs to be done to become a complete, authentic artist. I believe I do a little bit of what he's asking - albeit at a glacial, scatterbrained pace, hampered with self-consciousness. But one day I shall be the better for it, and perhaps, then, a small segment of this world will be, too.

By the way, I saw Winton live at Lincoln Center in NYC almost three years ago. Such a fantastic performer and a charismatic man. His jazz band played with a small orchestral ensemble and we listened to over two hours of some very eclectic but downright entertaining music. An appealing hybrid of jazz and classical. Imagine saxophones, trumpets and drums snaking over and through the atmospheric sound paintings of violins, cellos, basses and woodwinds. It was a great night and a great experience.

Do what's necessary to learn to play well! Start now!!

No comments: