Monday, March 16, 2009

Fight FOCA!

Just dropped off six postcards my wife and I filled out expressing our stand against FOCA, the "Freedom of Choice Act." Our representative, our senator, and our new president, all "pro-choice * ," will receive our little modest protest. Only a drop in the bucket, perhaps, but hopefully there will be many, many such drops, adding to a tidal surge.

Some of the provisions of FOCA call for relaxing regulations at abortion clinics, forcing American taxpayers to fund abortions, pressuring states to allow partial-birth abortions, stripping parents of rights and responsibilities for their minor daughter's decisions, and coercing Catholic hospitals to offer abortions.

Forget that I consider this disgusting and unethical. I consider it unconstitutional. What would the founding fathers think of such legislation? Even if you strip them of two centuries' worth of hagiography, what do you think they would honestly feel about FOCA? Is this why they risked life and limb to create this country?

Next week I'll send my distinguished servants in Washington an email follow-up.

If you, too, are against FOCA, I strongly urge you to contact your church. They should have plenty of information to help with your peaceful protest. If you support FOCA, I ask you simply to search your heart when you're alone and it's quiet.


* I used to label "pro-choice" politicians as "pro-abortion," for the simple fact that, to me, all they were advocating was abortion in varying degrees of unrestriction. You never saw a "pro-choice" politician actually promoting anything you might see on a "pro-life" politician's agenda. However, "pro-abortion" is a loaded term and quite demonizing. So, I'm based with a quandry. "Pro-choice" is too vague and euphemistic; "pro-abortion" is too condemning and suggestive. What's needed is a term that accurately describes the "pro-choice" "pro-abortion" position in a somewhat neutral manner. Oh well.

No comments: