Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Ash and Dust


Certainly in a century, a hundred years from now, my body will be dust. As will those of my wife and my two daughters. For me, statistically, it will probably happen in much less time. Today, when the priest dips his finger in the ashes and traces a cross across my forehead, he will invoke a prayer specifically designed to remind me of this.

Do you believe you have a soul? A part of you that will exist beyond bodily death? If not I wholeheartedly encourage you to read the Bible, attend some form of weekly mass, and talk with a spiritual counselor. Don’t wait until you find yourself in a hospital or facing some overwhelming obstacle.

If you do, what are you going to do to ensure the best possibly outcome for your soul after your body dies? That’s what the next forty or so days are all about.

My parish handed out these little black books for Lent last Sunday. You’re supposed to read a page a day, then meditate on the Bible verse and the commentary. This year I’m actually doing it, instead of thinking about doing it. I have two goals over the next forty days. They feel right. Hopefully, I will make some progress toward them by Easter.

How about you? Have any Lenten plans (Hopper asks rhetorically)?

No comments: