Friday, April 6, 2012

Stationary Cross


It’s good to give props where props are deserved. In that spirit, I’d like to anonymously applaud my daughter’s public school on my anonymous blog.

Today all the little-uns had Good Friday off. As well they should. But I got all worked up, between the ears, thinking, “Too bad they’re not allowed to tell the little-uns why they have the day off!” I thought of a good blog post, filled with gotcha riffs, sarcastic put-downs, and humorous metaphors iced with a touch of self-righteousness. Then, I looked at the purple piece of paper that’s the April calendar we got from her school, magnetically adhering to our refrigerator door.

There’s a cross in the box that marks today’s date. April 6, Good Friday. A 3-D drawing of a wooden cross, stuck into a hill and casting a shadow. A cross, on public school stationary.

Kudos for them! And – pssst – let’s keep this between us, okay?

Later, I intend to ask my daughter if they were told yesterday that they’d have today off for Good Friday. (And yes, I know that Passover falls on today’s date too; if that had something to do with them all getting today off, well, still kudos to the school administration!)

And even though this blog is anonymous, we do let our feelings known (especially the wife’s) whenever we run into the principal or any of the teachers, all wonderful people who definitely hold the little-uns interests first and foremost in all that they do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's amazing that we will take any crumb they give us but, as you said, kudos to them....