Friday, June 15, 2018

Heraclitean



Alles Glück auf Erden,
Freunde, gibt der Kampf!
Ja, um Freund zu warden,
Braucht es Pulverdampf!
Eins in Drein sind Freunde:
Brüder vor der Not,
Gleiche vor dem Feinde,
Freie  vor dem Tod!

– “Heraclitean,” poem #41 from the prologue to Nietzsche’s Joyful Science, c. 1882


Only fighting yields
Happiness on earth,
And on battlefields
Friendship has its birth.
One in three are friends:
Brothers in distress,
Equals, facing foes,
Free – when facing death!

– “Heraclitean,” English translation of Nietzsche’s poem by Walter Kaufmann


I am no expert on poetry, nor the philosophy of Nietzsche, except of the armchair Monday-morning quarterback sort. But I like this poem when I think about it on a more abstract level, not the obvious and literal comrade-in-arms in the trenches facing bayonets. It applies to any man facing any challenge, and that, along with what I understand of the German’s thought, appeals immensely to me.

No comments: