Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Fare Thee Well, August

 

So, so very much has happened these past 31 days that I am at a loss to organize it. Yet I feel I have to get it “out there,” for “posterity’s sake,” so, well, here it is, in something of a list format.


(It really was, I believe, the most eventful month I’ve had in a long, long time.)


First, Little One left for college on the 19th. True, she’s been back last weekend to do her laundry and buy up some supplies for her and her roommate, but the ache at her being gone is only now very slowly starting to subside.


Second, our almost-brand-new car was stolen on the 24th! From an office park, no less, in broad daylight. And we moved away from New York City, in part, to be safer. Oh well. Waiting on police reports and insurance checks. In the meantime I’ve surrendered my beloved Accord to the Mrs. as her job takes her all over and I’m basically still remote.


Patch started High School – High School! – three weeks ago.


She took an online course and spent four hours one Saturday training to be a soccer referee to make some $ this Fall. She also babysat for sixteen hours this month.


We had her sign up to start some Confirmation classes.


Since her big sister is now gone, at least Monday through Thursday, I’m trying to spend more time with her. We watched Despicable Me a week ago one night upstairs in “the apartment” and drive out together to the library every now and then.


As a final, end-of-summer celebration, my daughters and I watched Train to Busan, the 2016 South Korean zombies-on-speed flick that was the talk of cinema a while ago. Fun family times!


To keep busy with Little One gone and now that I’m here at the house without a car, I resumed work on my Grand Obsession, my Great Project. The novel to end all novels. Sunk in an additional nine hours over the last ten days alone. Slowly but surely this literary masterpiece is growing from a behemoth to a leviathan, and shows no sign of slowing down. My goal now is to get it finished before Little One completes college and Patch halts High School. (Flag on the play – abuse of alliteration!)


I put away a lengthy fantasy re-read from my youth (disappointing) and a lengthy generalized musings on World War II (slightly less disappointing).


I’ve been deeply fascinated with the music of Yes – downloading and exploring albums I never listened to growing up, learning bits and pieces of their music on my guitar, even reading up on the band. I haven’t been this musically charged in a long time. When I’m walking the dog, it’s generally Tales from Topographic Oceans on the headphones.


Went to Confession. Go. It’s good for the soul.


The wife and I are working our way through a re-watch of The Sopranos, the first time we watched it since the series ended back in 2007. We’re somewhere in the middle of Season 4 right now.


Work for me has been the same – except I’ve been nominated for the Passion Award for August! How’s that for being a productive employee! Hopefully that comes with a gift card, as I don’t think they give substantial bonuses for such winners of awards. It might make me a bit for layoff proof, for whatever that’s worth (not that I think I’ll be laid off).


And on, and on, and on.


Like I said, eventful.


Fare Thee Well, August!


Next stop: September, birthday month here at Chez Hopper!

 


No comments: