Saturday, December 3, 2022

Patch Scratch Fever

  

SCENE: Driving back from the grocery store with Patch, who’s very animated discussing her high school Spanish project about Argentina.


ME: Hey, can you tell me the one country in the world that does not want you to cry for it?


PATCH: Huh??


ME: What country does not want you to cry for it?


PATCH: I dunno.


ME: [triumphantly] Argentina!


PATCH: [looks at me as if I’m a recent psychiatric hospital escapee.] What?


ME: [singing] Don’t cry for me Argentina! [pause] You might not remember that song. It’s from a musical. From the Seventies. Madonna did a cover of it, in the Nineties, I think.


[She shows no sign of acknowledgment. The conversation then shifts to her entrepreneurial interest of starting a website to sell used clothes she finds in thrift shops.]


ME: [lively] I know what you can call your website!


PATCH: [warily] What?


ME: Patch Scratch Fever! [It comes out clumsily, like a tongue twister. I have to repeat it, slower each time, to get it to come out right.] Patch Scratch Fever. Patch Scratch Fever.


PATCH: What even is that?


ME: It’s a variation of a song … from the Seventies.


PATCH: Dad, sometimes you forget I’m only fourteen. I wasn’t alive in the Seventies.


ME: [ruefully] Yeah. I guess you’re right.


[We sit idle in silence at a traffic light for a minute, then continue to drive.]


ME: [cheerfully] You know, Patch, sometimes when I chat with you I feel like Rip Van Winkle –


PATCH: WHO??!?!

 


Note: The original punchline involved “Laurel and Hardy,” but damned if I can remember the setup. The conversation did take place forty-eight hours ago, after all …

 

 

No comments: