Wednesday, January 3, 2024

Happy Birthday J.R.R.

 

The Master would have been 132 today. Funny to think that when he was my age Truman was president, the Cold War was in its infancy, the atom bomb was still just an American weapon, and his antithesis, the anti-Tolkien, George R. R. Martin, was a newborn babe. And he’d still be six years away from publishing his magnum opus.

 

(By the way, these R.R.’s in authorial pen names fascinate me to no end.)

 

Anyway, since Tolkien was a dedicated if not devout Catholic, I do not think he would mind too much if I delayed my 2024 Tolkien Reading Plan a couple of weeks while I make my way through the books my loved ones have given me this Christmas – slim volumes on the founding fathers, the Jacksonian era of American History, and the Alamo. Once done the Silmarillion gets opened and Ilúvatar creates Middle-earth, and the quest begins ...

 


Happy birthday, and happy readings!


No comments: