Friday, April 11, 2008

My First Back Cover

I noticed on the back of most paperbacks, and all science fiction paperbacks, there’s usually a couple of paragraphs designed to sell the book. I’ve also noticed that sometimes these hundred or hundred-and-fifty-or-so words may not be always truthful to the source material. They’re probably written by marketing people at the publisher’s headquarters and probably embarrass the heck out of the author. Well, I tried my own hand summing up in a back-cover way one of the two manuscripts I’ve completed. I think I captured the requisite spirit, but the campiness and downright carnival barker aspect of it is a little embarrassing. So ... here’s what you might read on the back of my first book, paperback edition:




They came from outside our universe before time existed – the Iath, destroyers of worlds, the invincible, the terrible, the hungry. And they are converging on a densely populated point in the Milky Way called the Telekthiesis.

Only three stand in the way of this advancing force: Will, half-human half-machine, a killer for cruel masters, merciless though riddled with self-doubts. JiSard, his prey, a failed revolutionary running for her life with only her wits and an alien companion. And the Whale, a mystical messiah, hideous to behold, will draw them together in a desperate plan …

An adventure of galactic scope, spanning millennia and dozens of worlds! The Whale of Cortary is sure to keep the reader riveted until the final showdown with the Iath.

(Dum dum DUMMMMMMMMMMM!!!)

No comments: