Friday, September 12, 2008

Tick Tick Tick

My wife almost went in to the hospital today to be induced. Her fluid levels in the placenta were low, low enough to warrant a consultation with her OB-GYN. She drove from the ultrasound lab to his office, and it was decided a weekend of rest would be best. They’d test her again on Monday. The doctor is reserving Tuesday for her in case she needs to be induced, and our second child will be born.

His or her due date is September 16th, anyway.

But that gives me a sigh of relief. We have sooooooo much to do. I’ve been working on a weekend to-do list all day today, and almost had to throw it out. But no, it looks like I’ll still have one final weekend to get as much done before our littlest one is born.

Tick, tick, tick

Just to get it off my chest, here’s what I have yet to do. Our basement has just recently been refinished. Well, a ceiling’s been put up, the laundry room’s been framed out and sheet-rocked, a couple of outlets and new light fixtures installed, and everything’s been painted. I spent the past week moving desks from our offices down there, as well as about twenty boxes of books, CDs, paperwork, and miscellanea that needs to be gone through, box by box, and thrown out or put up on shelves.

We’re having the cable folks come over today (almost had to cancel, see paragraph 1) to wire up the basement with internet, phone, and fax lines. My wife spends a day or two a week working from home, so this is all business expense. So, I had to take down a quarter of the ceiling panels (oooops! try not to break them!) so the installers can run cable though the rafters. In the process, I got incredibly dirty and incredibly itchy.

I still have to completely empty out my wife’s old office. It will now be the new room for my daughter, the original Little One. My father-in-law is coming up tomorrow, and one of the many errands we’ll run will be to Lowe’s (got a 10% coupon) to buy pink paint and other painting supplies. I’m aiming to paint her new room on Sunday.

Tick, tick, tick

We also have about a dozen old paint cans to be disposed of from when we first moved in to the house four years ago. There’s a one-time hazardous waste removal fair (?) at the local community college. That’s another errand on Saturday.

Oh, and I need to get my driver’s license renewed. So, a stimulating trip to local motor vehicle office is in the works first thing Saturday morning. After I do Quicken and pay all our bills that need to be paid.

Laundry for the three of us. Grocery shopping on Sunday, where I take the Little One with me. I also have an insurance physical scheduled for Sunday at 7 am (the nurse is coming to our house to draw my blood, weigh me, take my blood pressure, etc.) Timing!

Still have about two dozen books I’m salivating to read, daily blog entries to write, an epilogue to a novel I need to redo, and baby supplies, such as the car seat, crib, bottles, bottle warmers, infant clothes, etc, etc, etc, to get down from the attic or find in the mass mess that is our garage. Would like to toss a trip to church somewhere in there, too.

It’ll be exciting, it’ll be frantic, it’ll be a horse-race photo finish …

Tick, tick, tick

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Cleaning and scrubbing can wait 'til tomorrow, for babies grow up, we've learned to our sorrow. So quiet down cobwebs and dust go to sleep, I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep." Yes, LE, take it from your sister-in-law, your "to-do" list will only get longer after baby comes. And it will still be there tomorrow and the day after that and the day after that! Relax, breathe deeply, and enjoy every moment of what's to come! Good Luck this week! J-

LE said...

Thanks for the kind thoughts J ... We're both trying to relax, but somehow we only wind up making each other more nervous!