Friday, January 23, 2009

Favorite Quotes # 272

“I’ve always loved the flirtatious tango of consonants and vowels, the sturdy dependability of nouns and capricious whimsy of verbs, the strutting pageantry of the adjective and the flitting evanescence of the adverb, all kept safe and orderly by those reliable little policemen, punctuation marks. Wow! Think I got my ass kicked in high school?”

- Dennis Miller, The Rant Zone


Another in a lengthy and growing collection of odd little dollops of weirdness that appeal (usually only) to me, and I wish desperately that I had written or said. I know exactly what he’s feeling here.

For some, Mr. Miller’s an acquired taste, a love-him-or-hate-him type of comedian. I don’t know why, exactly. I find him hilarious, and always have, from those breakout Weekend Update SNL segments in the mid-to-late-80s to his current radio show, which I listen to whenever I’m in the car at lunch. I even converted my wife; she now calls me at the office every now and then, amusing and sometimes even giggling, starting off the call with “Guess what Dennis Miller said today …”

No comments: