Thursday, January 22, 2009

Random Questions

Some random, unanswered questions that’ve been floating around in the LEsphere

- Gas is now around $1.50 a gallon. Back in August it hovered around $4.00 a gallon, and we were inundated with story after story of that gasapocalypse. Where’re the stories now, now that it’s like at about a third of what it was six months ago?

- And can anyone explain in, say, a paragraph, the economic engine that determines what we pay at the pump?

- Been thinking a lot about the Rand novel Atlas Shrugged. And I think it’s very, very relevant at this stage of the game. I read it, yes, a decade ago, and was impressed, but I grew beyond it. But now I wonder … where is the Catholic Atlas Shrugged in our times?

- Why were we (those in the media, rather) wringing our collective hands back in January 2005 over a $40 million inaugural celebration during a time of “war” and “the uncertainties after the Indian tsunami” and there’s nary a reflection upon the $150 million Obama inauguration while we’re in such dire straits economically and existentially as a nation?

- What can be done about this “indentured servitude” that – I estimate, and I dare you to contradict – that at least 75% of our population is forced to endure? Specifically, me, but generally, your sons and daughters, your friends and neighbors, and, most probably, unless you are a freelancer, own your own business, retired, or work for the government, yourself? Sometimes I think the ol’ invisible hand of the marketplace is squeezing me mercilessly in its fist.


Just askin’ …

No comments: