Sunday, April 26, 2009

Spem In Alium

I am convinced that Latin is the tongue of angels.

Consider:

Credo in unum Deum.
Patrem omnipotentem,
factorem caeli et terrae,
visibilium omnium et invisibilium.
Et in unum Dominum Jesum Christum,
Filium Dei unigentum.
Et ex Patre natum ante omnia saecula,
Deum de Deo, lumen de lumine,
Deum verum de Deo vero;
genitum non factum,
consubstantialem Patri,
per quem omnia facta sunt;
qui propter nos hominess
et propter nostrum salutem
descendit de caelis.
Et incarnates est de Spiritu Sancto
ex Maria Virgine,
et homo factus est.
Crucifixus etiam pro nobis
Sub Pontio PIlato;
Passus et sepultus est.
Et resurrexit tertia die
secundum scripturas;
et ascendit in caelum,
sedet ad dexteram Patris.
Et exspecto resurrectionem mortuorum
et vitiam venture saeculi. Amen.

This is a version of the Nicene Creed of the Catholic Church in Latin. I find it poetic, epic, rhythmical, reverent, supranatural. To me, it is the best humanly possible rendition of the language of the heavenly court. I have made several stilted attempts to learn Latin over the years, never succeeding farther than the rudimentaries. I kick myself because it was offered to me as a freshman in high school, and I elected not to take the class. I have a Latin bible and I have one of those Latin-made-easy books, so maybe I’ll be able to fulfill that left-field wish once I’m financially independent.

I bought a CD yesterday of some choral works of Thomas Tallis (1505-1585). Tallis is the composer if you are looking for spiritually charged vocal stuff. If you’re somewhat familiar with classical music you may recognize Ralph Vaughan Williams’ instrumental Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis, one of the most goose-bump rendering pieces in all Western music, and what inspired me to hunt this out. The CD begins with Spem in Alium, a choral piece written for 40 voices, eight choirs of five voices each. Awesome. The rest of the CD contains several masses and hymns, similar in style and form, all very inspiring, relaxing, and, for a music geek like me, overwhelming.

Check thou it out!

No comments: