Friday, June 5, 2009

The Eucharist: St. Thomas Aquinas


I have always had a tremendous respect for St. Thomas Aquinas, and have felt the pull for a couple of years now to really understand his writings. The few attempts I made usually last no more than a week as I became numbed by the clarity of his thought. My muddy post-modern mind is not used to such rational rigor. But one day I will read through Thomas’ work; not once, not twice, but three times to fully understand the great themes he writes about, nothing less than the philosophical and theological underpinnings of the Catholic Church. After all, I hope to meet him one day, if you know what I mean.

Thomas wrote a Sermon on the Eucharist, but I was unable to find it anywhere online after a cursory search. However, he addresses the Blessed Sacrament in his most famous work, the Summa Theologica, of which I have a copy. Since I am not a full-time seminarian, I could not find the time (though I wish I could) to go through the 1,911 pages of his magnum opus, especially as the unabridged copy I have does not contain an index (!). So I surfed a couple of websites and came up with this barely adequate post on just two of the saint’s thoughts on the Eucharist.

For Thomas the Eucharist is the summit of our spiritual life, the greatest of all the sacraments. Why? While all the other sacraments (baptism, confirmation, ordination, marriage, reconciliation, anointing of the sick) have the energy – “vir” or “virtus” in the Latin – of Christ within them, the Blessed Sacrament contains Christ’s own body. Thomas believes that Christ’s sacrifice is truly and effectively active in the sacrament.

An interesting observation Thomas writes that I, in my admittedly limited reading, have not come across elsewhere concerns the timelessness or eternality of the Eucharist. All sacraments serve as signs that are simultaneously reminders of the past (the Passion of Christ), an indicator of grace effected in us, and a foretelling of the future glory. Especially more so regarding the Blessed Sacrament. As a commemoration of our Lord’s Passion it brings to mind the terrible suffering of the true sacrifice He did for our sake. As an indicator of the grace we receive, due to the communal nature of the holy meal, it brings to mind the unity of believers. As a foretelling of future glory it is the sacrament bar none that promises us eternal life with our Lord in heaven.

In Aquinas is found the most enlightening and complete synthesis of the Catholic faith concerning the mystery of the Eucharist. It is a definite goal of mine to get through at least some Aquinas in the near future, perhaps when things slow down and get back on track for me, God willing. It’s a goal that could possibly yield the most beneficial blessings upon me in more ways than the obvious ones.

No comments: