Thursday, August 13, 2009

The Lama and the Soldier

...

“It repents me that I did not give a rupee to the shrine,” said the lama on the last bead of his eighty-one.

The old soldier growled in his beard, so that the lama for the first time was aware of him.

“Seekest thou the River also?” said he turning.

“The day is new,” was the reply. “What need of a river save to water at before sundown? I come to show thee a short lane to the Big Road.”

“That is a courtesy to be remembered, O man of good will; buy why the sword?”

The old soldier looked as abashed as a child interrupted in his game of make-believe.

“The sword,” he said, fumbling it. “Oh, that was a fancy of mine – an old man’s fancy. Truly the police orders are that no man must bear weapons throughout Hind, but” – he cheered up and slapped the hilt – “all the constables here know about me.”

“It is not a good fancy,” said the lama. “What profit to kill men?”

“Very little – as I know; but if evil men were not now and then slain it would not be a good world for weaponless dreamers …”

- from Kim (1901), chapter 4, by Rudyard Kipling.


This short exchange in what’s turning out to be a surprisingly enjoyable read reminded me of some thoughts I had posted after watching Clint Eastwood’s latest and possibly last flick, here.

No comments: