Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Scariest Story Ever

What was yours?

What was the scariest thing you ever – read?

Hmm?

Sure, it’s easy to cite a bunch of scary movies. * It’s also fairly easy to talk about scary events in your life. ** However, it’s a lot harder, I think, to come up with the scariest thing you ever read because, well, to write something that’s scary – truly, effectively scary – is perhaps the highest form the art of writing can take.

All writing has to be emotional on some level, and by that I mean it has to elicit some deep feelings in the reader to be successful. Science fiction stories, by and large, aim to instill a sense of wonder in the reader. Thrillers keep the reader on the edge of his seat. Romances make their audience swoon with vicarious love. Historical fiction, I think, strives to impart to the reader a sense of satisfaction, of filling in historical details, of answering “what if” type questions.

The best horror stories scare the hell out of the reader.

Why is it more difficult to induce fear in the reader than any other emotion? I think it has something to do with the fact that fear is the primal emotion, the most basic, simple, warning signal to the individual that he needs to fight or take flight to accomplish nothing less than his very survival. And it’s tough, extremely tough, to bring this out in the reader who most likely is reading the horror story in a comfy chair in a well-lit room in his cozy, safe home.

So – any thoughts?

For me, I’m thinking of two bits of scariness I read as a kid that deeply, deeply warped me.

The first is The Amityville Horror. I blogged about it last summer, when the semi-lame movie version was on late one night while the wife and kids were away visiting her folks. If you’re so inclined, you can read those thoughts here.

But the hands-down most frightening thing I ever read, I just re-discovered. By frightening, I mean it’s just is too dreadful to contemplate. It’s disgusting, it’s claustrophobic, it’s nightmare-inducing, it gives me the heebie-jeebies. It’s concise, only three or four pages long, and extremely well-written. Not a word is wasted, and every paragraph furthers the fear factor.

“The Graveyard Rats,” by Henry Kuttner.

First published in Weird Tales in 1936, I had the unfortunate fortune to first read it 42 years later. I shudder with the memory of inadvertent enchantment with it at my local library, of shivers really running up and down my body, of the taste of bile in my throat, of my stomach twinging in horror.

I just found that same exact anthology I must have read as a youth, and I reread Kuttner’s piece of nastiness. It didn’t hit me as hard, but it still was quite unsettling. For one thing, I see that the “protagonist” of the work is far from being an innocent victim Young Me thought him to be, so his unpleasant fate is slightly less unnerving. Still, though, I had to shake my head once finished. That story is powerful stuff.

Now, I’m not advocating you do this. Really, I’m not. But if you are a fan of horror fiction and think you can stomach this, you can read it for free, here: ***

http://www.archive.org/details/TheGraveyardRats

But, please, for the love of God, please, don’t …



* For me, Paranormal Activity and The Exorcism of Emily Rose, to name just a few recent ones.

** Just type the word scary in the Search My Blog! thing on the left, and you’ll get a glimpse into the blackened Mirkwood inside my head.

*** I had to click on “Full Text”, then the .txt file, then copy and paste it to a Word doc in order to read it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Geeze, thanks LE. There goes my night job. No more crawling around in tunnels even for a nice set of cuff links.


JCON

Abdelazeez said...

Hey there,

Found your blog whilst searching for something else on the internet; I must say, I like your dexterity with the English language... and that comment is indeed strong applause given the fact that I'm not even a fan of fiction.

Well, to think about it, the scariest thing that I have ever read HAS to be the description of Hell in the Qur'an! I just cannot imagine what it would be like if I were indeed to witness it or (worse so,) thrown into it for any of my inequities. I pray that Almighty God save us all from such a torment & punishment. – Ameen.

Let me paste below a few of the descriptions that I can find of it from the Qur'an and the Hadith, (i.e. collection of sayings of Prophet Muhammed (peace be upon him)), just to let you know what I'm talking about:

1. Hell is before him and he shall be given to drink of festering water: He will drink it little by little and will not be able to swallow it agreeably, and death will come to him from every quarter, but he shall not die; and there shall be vehement chastisement before him. [Qur'an, 14:15]

2. “When Allah’s Messenger, Prophet Muhammed (peace be upon him) said: "Your ordinary fire is one of the 70 potions of the Hellfire," someone commented, "O Messenger of Allah, would it (ordinary fire) not be sufficient (to burn the wrongdoers)?" At that, Allah’s Messenger (peace be upon him) said, "The Hellfire has 69 more portions than ordinary (worldly) fire, and all of them are as hot as this (worldly fire)." [Noted in Sahih al-Bukhari]

3. “The companions of the left hand – what are the companions of the left hand? (They will be) in the midst of a fierce blast (of fire) and in boiling water and in the shades of black smoke – nothing cool and nothing beneficial.” [Qur'an 56: 41-44]

4. ...those who disbelieve, for them are cut out garments of fire, boiling water shall be poured over their heads; With it shall be melted what is in their bellies and (their) skins as well. And for them are whips of iron. Every time they wish to get away there from, from anguish, they will be forced back therein, and (it will be said), "Taste ye the Penalty of Burning!" [Qur'an 22:19-22]

5. Prophet Muhammed (peace be upon him) said, "I looked into the Hellfire, and the majority of its dwellers were women who were ungrateful." It was asked to him, "Did they disbelieve in (i.e. were they ungrateful to] Allah?" He replied, "They were ungrateful to their husbands and were ungrateful for favors and the good deeds done for them. If you had always been good to one of them and then she saw something in you not to her liking, she would say, ‘I have never seen any good from you at all.’"[Noted in Sahih al-Bukhari]

6. Surely the tree of the Zaqqum, Is the food of the sinful. Like dregs of oil; it shall boil in (their) bellies, Like the boiling of hot water. (And it will be said) Seize him, then drag him down into the middle of the hell; Then pour above his head of the torment of the boiling water: Taste; you forsooth are the mighty, the honorable: Surely this is what you disputed about. [Qur'an 44:43-49]

etc. etc.

I tell you truly my brother, there is nothing that scares me more than these descriptions. If indeed the reality of Hell were to be shown to me, I'd die the proverbial thousand(s of) deaths and yet not be able come to terms with situation. Lord alone save us from it - Ameen.

Peace.

LE said...

Sounds quite unpleasant, Katib, and I'm not being glib. As a Catholic, my faith in Jesus Christ and my partaking in the sacraments will, in my earnest hope, save me and my loved ones from such a fate.

Back in the 90s, during my comparative religion phase, I did toy with reading the Koran. I may have borrowed a copy from the library, but I don't think I ever started reading it.

Thanks for stopping by...

LE said...

JCON, now that I think about it, knowing what you do for a living, you must know where a lot of gold teeth are buried ...

Hmmm ....

Abdelazeez said...

Hey, that's nice to know.

Maybe (if the Lord wills), someday you might want to read the Qur'an to find out how Prophet Muhammed (pbuh) is indeed the natural successor to Jesus (pbuh), and then maybe you and I could even have a talk where I could tell you how much we Muslims love Jesus pbuh, and the fact that Islam is the only non-Christian faith which makes it an article of faith for its followers to believe in Jesus the Christ pbuh. In fact, no Muslim is a Muslim if s/he denies it.

I've been reading through the Bible as well for some months now, and I must say my love for Jesus Christ, (peace be upon him) the son of the blessed virgin Mary, has grown manifold from whatever I have read of the Gospel so far. Maybe someday you and I could have a talk on comparing our religions & also reach common ground on some concepts as well if God wills.

I guess this is not the forum for such a discussion, but who knows what the good Lord has in store for us & where else we are to meet in future.

T'was nice visiting your blog, and I hope to come back again sometime for a good read. Wish you all the best.

Peace.