Monday, May 10, 2010

Itinienda

Thumbed through two really neat philosophy books over the weekend: The Philosophy Gym by Stephen Law and The Pig That Wants to be Eaten by Julian Baggini. While one stayed fairly neutral and the other betrayed a noticeable ideological tilt, they were both excellent reads. Through short dramatized vignettes, both managed to give a surprisingly comprehensive overview of the hot topics in philosophy over the past twenty-five hundred years. I found myself deep in thought most of Saturday and Sunday. In fact, I think they’ve supplied this week’s posts.

So, here’s a brief itinerary and agenda for the next few days. Subject to last-minute change, of course. As this blog is strictly non-profit and I am iron-bound to the whims of the muse, I can’t be certain of which topic I’ll write on each day. But I’d like to potentially talk about –

- The Ring of Gyges

- Descartes’ evil genie residing in our DNA

- The Leviticus problem

- An Oscar Wilde quote on the morality/immorality of books

- Why belief in God is THE essential key to any philosophy

- A short evaluation of both books (I liked ’em both in differing ways)

- Teleportation, genetic monkey-business, and deliberately accelerated bi-directional temporal displacement

- Fallacies for dummies (I include myself in the latter category)

- And maybe something else I forgot about or haven’t read up yet


There! Should be an action-packed smack-down of a week! Don’t miss it! Tell the neighbors! Call friends and relatives! Alert the media! Anxiously pace by your PC, with the Hopper your Home Page, hitting the Refresh button every three minutes! Wade into the fray, if you dare! You won’t be disappointed! Unless you are!

You have now been warned …


(Also have a review of beknighted maverick physicist and SF author Fred Hoyle’s book on non-deliberately accelerated bi-directional temporal displacement October the First is Too Late half-finished, in which LE tries to make sense of the insensible …)

No comments: