Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Garofalo

Now, I’m not really into fighting it out in the trenches of the political wars. Especially as so much – too much, really – is juvenile name-calling. One such member of the juvenile name-calling brigade, from Team Left, is Janeane Garofalo. I don’t know much about her other than seeing her a bit on SNL fifteen years ago. I know she’s a stand-up comic, which strikes me a bit odd as any interview I’ve seen her in (admittedly, only a few), she comes off as really bitter and angry.

Anyway, I came across this interview with her and decided to read it. Man, does she come off as bitter and angry. All conservatives to her are evil sexist racists who either want to kill, enslave, or otherwise dominate their peace-loving, hand-holding liberal brethren. At least, that’s the best I can make of her positions.

However, the best deconstruction of Ms. Garofalo – far, far better than anything I could come up with even if I was motivated to do so – is from one of the commenters after the interview. This is so on-the-mark perfect:


If you want to have some fun with a Garofalo interview try this: simply replace the words "conservative" or "republican" with either "jock" or "preppy."

Janeane's entire worldview was set in stone when she was about 16 or so. She's never deviated or grown. She's still that disaffected and angry teen girl who views every cultural disagreement through that prism of her high school experience. That's why anyone who disagrees with her can't just be wrong, they gotta be evil super Nazis. Listening to her blather on against the dangerous other is so tedious and really boring. You can go read an emo girl's diary and essentially get the same thing. BTW, I never see Janeane around people of color. Probably because she doesn't understand them either and treats them like an exhibit instead of real human beings.


If you want to read the interview, you can find it here. The original comment where I cut-n-pasted the above is from June 25, 2010 at 6:12 PM CDT.

By the way, I am a conservative, and I have no desire to kill, enslave, or otherwise dominate anyone who does not agree with me. I’m content to duke it out at the ballot box and vote with my dollars when necessary.

All right, enough nonsense. How about something weird and fun tomorrow, huh?

No comments: