Friday, July 2, 2010

Vacation!

Ah! Vacation! Rest, relaxation, and recreation!

Me and the girls are packing everything up and driving down to beautiful Hilton Head Island, SC, for the next week. My in-laws live down there, and each year they generously pay for a hotel for us just down the road. Us meaning the wife and me. The little ones will be doing sleepovers with Nana and Grandpa D in various permutations over the next five or six nights.

The drive is crazy, something like fifteen or sixteen hours, but we’ve done it before. This’ll probably be our fifth or sixth cruise down. I don’t mind it. Me and C alternate 3-hour shifts behind the wheel. We pack lots of books, CDs, and DVDs for the girls to watch in the back seat. Plus a big coolerful of drinks and snacks. It’s an admitted adventure.

There’s the weirdest place I always hit when I go down to HHI. It’s a combination used book store and yarn center. So, basically, it’s me, scoping out the shelves for hidden treasures, mingling with half-a-dozen grandmas. Last time there I scored John Hersey’s Hiroshima and the Hegel compendium I read during my feat of self-flagellation at the start of this blog. I aims to find a few good blogable reads at the yarn emporium.

I’m not sure how much access I’ll have to a PC while away. I cued up a week’s worth of posts, all of some interest, I hope. Please, by all means, comment, and if I don’t get back in a timely fashion, know that I’m not dispensing the cold shoulder. I will comment on your comments eventually.

If tradition holds, the girls will be spending a lot of time with Nana and my wife, doing the pool and beach thing. We’ll be eating a lot of high-quality gourmet meals, courtesy of chef extraordinaire, Grandpa D. I’m hoping to carve out lots of quiet time to think and write and figure out just what my next steps are. Lots on my plate: the next novel, the next page in my website, the next blog, the next daytime career, the next steps to self-marketing. A lot upstairs that I have to filter through various logical processing centers, to then translate via fingertips into coherent electronic or/and handwritten action plans.

Wish me luck!

And – keep coming back! New stuff everyday. I promise.

No comments: