Thursday, December 30, 2010

2010 Accomplishments


Wow. This year went faaaaaaast. So much done, yet I still seem to be in the exact same spot (read: dilemma) I was in a year ago. But I want to focus on the positive here, as we all should in the waning days of December.

What have I accomplished in the past twelve months?

Hmmm.

I edited my two science fiction novels a third time to send out. Sent the best one to a fairly established literary agent.

Wrote an 11,000-word novella that I’m quite pleased with, aimed at, oh, say a “tween” audience.

Collected eight rejection letters for a couple of short stories sent out to a couple of magazines.

Attended two writing seminars – one a 90-minute lecture on the biz by a literary agent who’s done everything over the course of a 25-year career, one a Q&A by a young, established Broadway playwright.

Completed about 50 percent of my two other websites – one on the Apollo Space Program and the other on fringe weirdities. Goal is to make a few bucks a week from them. They’ve been lowest of my priorities this year; next year I need to bump them up.

Maintained my blog-a-day par here at the Hopper, which included two week-long vacation stays down in South Carolina. The only layoff was my brief stay in the hospital in June. I think that daily writing habit is now fully established.

Speaking of hospitalization, went through my eighth surgery done on my pulmonary vein. Always had three lung scans done. Not really accomplishments, but my behavior through them all was so exceptional you’d think I was going to the dentist for a teeth cleaning.

Changed 1,620 diapers per my estimation. Sat with my oldest daughter for close to a hundred homework and special projects sessions.

Soldiered through thirteen children’s birthday parties (not including those of my own), one pool party, and seven trips to the town pool. I’m not a social butterfly, so this is astounding for someone like me.

Chased roughly 600 tennis balls my daughter hit off the backyard deck. Proudly watched her weeklong tennis lessons in South Carolina followed by a four-week lesson in my town. A month later watched her for a dozen soccer practices and eight games. Yes, this is an accomplishment for me, due to the proximity of myself with coaches and other parents.

Read 47 mostly fascinating books, 24 short stories, and 4 lengthy essays. Each and every one has shaped me, my writing, my thinking, and my ideas.

Gained 7 pounds over the first 11.5 months of the year, then lost 7 pounds. Did just shy of a hundred heart-healthy workouts.

Applied to over two dozen online job postings, sent out over 70 personalized letters and resumes to businesses in my industry in my area, made contact with an old colleague, and done follow-up when and wherever possible. Did a phone interview – I was good but lacked experience in one critical area. Though my efforts are still not fruitful, I’m gonna say I’m making progress.

Performed my Eucharistic Minister duties at my church a dozen times without messing up! Whew!

Kept the wind- and wave-tost skiff LE afloat for another year, keeping creditors and all the other hands reaching for my wallet at bay. How I did it I can’t quite say, but thank you, Lord, for answering (most) of my prayers.

All right. Now go and think about what you’ve managed to accomplish in 2010.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats LE on your accomplishments and your beautiful family. Accomplishments aside, may 2011 bring you a healthy, happy and employed new year.

Uncle

Anonymous said...

Gee, LE...you put us to shame...I and stepdad just tried "stayin alive" and enjoying our family and life...God bless you...always