Sunday, December 12, 2010

Footsteps

“When God walks the earth, His steps are often centuries apart.”

- Ben-Hur, Book V, Chapter VII


One of the most difficult things to accept, I think, is that we may have already played a part in God’s master plan. It is not up for us to know in this lifetime. Perhaps if we lead a life of remarkable and heroic piety, we may be granted the grace to see how we have participated in His Will. However, a life of remarkable and heroic piety is beyond my grasp, at least at this moment in time. So I must be content wrestling with the difficult question: what if the moving hand, having writ, has moved on? What if, for example, it was only to be required of me that I marry my wife and have children, and my children will play a much greater role in the Grand Design than me? Humility demands I accept this. I only hope and pray that, if this is so, I have responded with the yes that God desires of me.

No comments: