Tuesday, June 28, 2011

I'm Working!


Yay! I am finally a productive member of society!

After a little over two years of searching I officially started my first day at my new job yesterday. (Unofficially there was a day of training last week at an outside vendor.) What a relief, what a heavy load off my shoulders. And not just from a financial point of view. It sounds old fashioned to say it, but a man’s got to work. I feel twice the man I was a week ago when I was jobless.

I sent out a little over 300 resumes resumés over the past 27 months. I did two mass mailers – one targeting the top 160 businesses (both in sales and employee size) and one aimed at the closest 60 businesses in my line of work (closest to my home). Each mail-out had a letter explaining what I could do for the company, tailored as personal as I could make them. Results: one in-person interview, two phone interviews. Zero job offers.

The other 100 or so resumés were online job applications. I had indeed.com filter any job openings related to a couple of keywords pertaining to my skill set and past history. These I think of as the Black Hole of Unemployment. You apply and apply and apply, and you never ever even know if another human being ever eyeballs your resumé and cover letter. However, I did get one in-person interview after a phone interview via this route. Results: Zero job offers.

I made contact with an old coworker and a few weeks later got a call for an in-person interview. Drove the 43 miles (one-way) to the business feeling quite confident. Hey, I had an “in”, a connection. Unfortunately, there were 28 other applicants for the same job. Since I wouldn’t have been working directly for this guy, that connection didn’t amount to much. Results: I got called back saying I didn’t make the cut.

Over the past two years I met with four headhunters. Had to actually go in and interview with them – two companies, twice as they like to physically see you after a year goes by. I must admit not thinking very highly of the headhunter industry. Maybe it’s because my skill set is so niche. I don’t know, but I never got a call from any of them for any job openings. Big waste of time.

Then I made contact with another old coworker and a couple of weeks later got a call to come in and interview. It was a case of right-place-right-time – they were looking exactly for someone like me and I was looking for someone exactly like them. Did a second interview, got a proposal, said yes, did a day of training, then had first day yesterday. A whirlwind, and lazy ol’ me is somewhat winded and out of breath.

In keeping with the semi-anonymous nature of this public blog, that’s about as much detail as I’m gonna give. If you know me and want to know more, send me a message by clicking on the mugshot just under the About Me. I’ll get back to you.

Thanks to all who have supported me and my family throughout these long two-plus years. You know who you are! Finally things seem to be going Team Hopper’s way for a change. Let’s hope it continues – and gathers momentum!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We are so happy you're happy and are back out in the work force! Never underestimate, however, the work you've done over the last 2 years as a SAHD, it is the hardest job you'll ever have had! Hope you're enjoying yourself and it's the start of all good things to come! -J