Monday, June 6, 2011

Wee Wishes


Book I wish I finished

- Foundation Trilogy, by Isaac Asimov

Started it in the late 80s, got a hundred pages in. Restarted a few years later, only got twenty or thirty pages in. On vacation last year spotted this other dad reading it, but felt too self-conscious to go up and say, “Hey, that book you’re engrossed in defeated me twice!” One day I’ll conquer it.


Science I wish I could get into

- Egyptology

Because at any given time on any given day, there’s a cable teevee channel showing a special on some particular aspect of ancient Egypt. Go ahead – check your cable listings later and see that I’m right.


Instrument I wish I could play

- Keyboards (piano)

Can play chords and melodies, but only with one hand. Can’t get the two hands to play simultaneously independently. Frustrating …


Lifestyle I wish I could adopt

- Veganism

Why? Because I’d drop 30 pounds, lower my blood pressure, lower my triglycerides, balance my cholesterol, reduce risk for heart attacks and strokes and cancer, sleep better, breathe better, think better … need I go on?


Composer I wish I could groove to

- Mahler

Every book I read on classical music when I first got into it a decade ago told me how he’s da bomb. Listened to a couple of symphonies. Bought No. 2 and Songs of the Earth. Tried to appreciate it, but … now I listen to those CDs ’bout once every two or three years.


Useless talent I wish I developed

- Juggling

C’mon – don’t you wish you knew how to juggle?

No comments: