Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Why My Job Is Awesome


Well, perhaps clarification is in order. How about: Why The People I Work With Are Awesome.

Why?

Because so many of them PLAY INSTRUMENTS!!!

We got a veritable band over here. I’m envisioning a Hendrix-like Band of Gypsies thing, as you’ll see in a moment:

In the space of two days last week, I found out that working side by side with me are –

• A drummer

• A “percussionist”

• A guitar player

• A singer

• And a kid who’s teaching himself guitar and keyboards

Add me, guitarist-extraordinaire-without-a-guitar, and you’d have quite a band.

You ask: What about bass? What about bass?

Well, I played bass in 1988 for my first two live shows. It was fun and easy and I’m up to the task, as long as the task is laying down a basic, pentatonic bass line. Or we can have the other guitarist switch over or alternate low-note duties. Or we can have the kid switch to bass. This early in his development means a whole lot of technique he won’t have to unlearn.

The drummer and the singer regularly gig out in NYC. I can add thirty shows worth of experience from 1988 to 1991 (wonder if it’s like riding a bike …)

The singer, though, is Spanish. Very, very Spanish, very, very Latin. I send his child support payments to Puerto Rico.

So maybe we wouldn’t resemble Hendrix’s Band of Gypsies. Maybe more like Santana, with me a young mutton-chopped Neil Schon.

I can dream, can’t I???

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Of course dream!