Monday, April 1, 2013

Resurrection Day


Well, we had a great Easter Sunday. Probably the best one since 2003 (that was the year I made my first confession in nearly twenty-five years). It was a low-key affair, but the girls were so well-behaved, the company was so fun, the conversation so enjoyable, the food so delicious, the wine so fulfilling … it just led to a great time.

The morning started with the little ones searching for their Easter eggs and baskets. The wife made us all some eggs and toast, and we sat about watching the first forty-five minutes of Ben Hur (TCM was showing a marathon of religious flicks). I’ve seen the movie a half-dozen times, and the beginning, featuring the Star of Bethlehem, and the scene where Christ ministers to a thirsting Judah Ben-Hur – and silences the centurion with but a glance into the man’s heart – are my favorites. The girls enjoyed the Nativity, too.

Anyway, time for a mid-morning bath, and I took a long, luxorious one putting some mileage on Behind the Walls of Terra.

We all showered and got into our Sunday bests. My father-in-law arrived by 11, and we met my parents and my grandmother at the church a half-hour later. Mass was both enjoyable and reverant, mostly. The sermon was inspiring and informative (about how Pope Francis is rejuvenating the Church).

Afterwards, we all met at a restaurant for a three-hour late lunch / early dinner. I had mussels followed by veggie penne pasta, chased down with two glasses of a nice Pinot Noir. A slice of chocolate caramel cake finished me off. We said goodbye to my parents and grandmother and headed home. My father-in-law got the girls – of all things! – an electronic talking parrot! Good for some laughs. (Then I had to hide the batteries…)

We finished the day watching The Ten Commandments with Chuck Heston, DVR’d from ABC the night before. The girls, particularly Little One, absolutely love the flick, and it’s become a sort of tradition with us – this is the third year in a row we’re watching it for Easter. Should just go out an buy the DVD, I guess.

Well, hope your Resurrection Day was as blessed as mine … I didn’t want it to end!

No comments: