Friday, April 19, 2013

Wanted: A New Hobby


Let me tell you, with the week I had, I need a new way to relax. A new way to take my mind off things. A new hobby.

Very difficult week at work. Lotsa complaining, lotsa unhappy campers. Screamers, whiners, backbiters. Plus the wife’s been busy at her work, too, clocking late nights these past three-four days, including tomorrow. That leaves me with child care duty, and the little ones, normally well-behaved, have been seriously testing me. I’m in a fit-into-your-suit diet mode for a wedding next week, so I don’t have that avenue of beer / fast food / junk food to relax my aching brain.

Then there’s the news: the whole Boston thing and this Gosnell trial. The terror attack has me mesmerized for some reason. Gotta hear every latest detail that’s come in. A strange and disturbing personality trait that’s just surfaced that I need to suppress. Not good to get fixated on things that you can’t change. And the media only fuels the fire. One reason I gave up talk radio and try not to follow politics anymore.

This despicable, murderous, nonhuman monster Kermit Gosnell – and his loathsome accomplices in the media who conspired to keep this trial out of the public spotlight – also infuriates me. I can’t read about it; the stories literally will break your heart and haunt you for a long, long time to come. Since the birth of my first child almost nine years ago, something clicked and I grew from noncommittally prolife to officially prolife. After Gosnell, I might have to upgrade to proactively prolife.

So – I need something to take my mind off things.

I’d break out the old telescope and scan the skies if my nighttime sky didn’t look like pea soup. I live fifteen miles from NYC.

Hmmm ….

I got it!

Bird watching!

Let’s see, a trip to the hardware store … buy a birdfeeder … buy some birdseed … dig out my old binoculars …


No comments: