Friday, March 13, 2015

Wells


On a whim I borrowed two H. G. Wells novels on audio CD from the library: The Time Machine and The War of the Worlds.  Got rather sick of listening to Talk Radio and bored of listening to classical music during the 50 minutes I’m in the car commuting each day.  Two days in I’m almost finished with the first (it only takes up 3 CDs), which I’ll probably wrap up on Monday.  The rest of the week will be devoted to the War of the Worlds (6 CDs).

I am enjoying it more than I thought I would.

Fourth grade, I believe, was the H. G. Wells year for me.  This memory could be entirely manufactured and divorced from reality, but somehow it makes sense to me.  I only actually remember reading War of the Worlds back then, but I must’ve read The Time Machine too.  And, of course, those ABC 4:30 movies during the weekdays.  I’m sure I saw the George Pal renditions of both movies during that school year (War from 1953, Time Machine from 1960). 

Sometime in the early-90s I re-read The War of the Worlds.  Found it tough going, but back then I was not as into the Victorian novel as I seem to be today.  Can’t wait to listen to the novel and compare this go-through to the memory of my previous experience.

Oh, and now I realized I’ve left out two major pieces of the little ones’ cinematic education.  Gotta borrow those Pal flicks from the library.

Before the tripods destroy it …


No comments: