Saturday, July 12, 2008

Catechism

One of the great things about the Catholic Church, I think, is that it spells out clearly and concisely its beliefs and teachings in what's called the Catechism. A paperback edition has been out for at least twenty-five years; I bought a new copy four years ago for $8.99. Yes, it is 844 pages long, but its divided into logical sections discussing subjects ranging from our concept of God, sacred scripture, Jesus Christ, the Holy Spirit, the role of the Church, other fundamental beliefs we hold such as those regarding Mary, bodily resurrection, and everlasting life, the liturgy, our seven sacraments, how we should live virtuous lives in light of the commandments, and prayer. Teaching is spelled out clearly in numbered paragraphs, citing ancient authority from the Bible to Augustine, Aquinas, and Church councils. A huge index in the back of the book can point you to any subject you might be interested in.

How many Catholics own one?

If I was a wealthy mover-n-shaker, I'd strike a deal with the publisher and buy up a couple hundred thousand Catechisms and hand them out free throughout the parishes across the country. The American Catholic Church is hurting bad, and I feel a return to correct teaching would help get us back on track. Heck, sexuality alone has so many Catholics confused I'd guess that only one or two in ten could accurately explain Church teaching on the subject.

If so many Catholics are ignorant of true Church teaching, how can we expect a 51-year-old tenured professor of biology with a PhD to have any clue as to what we believe and why we believe it?


In my Catechism, discussion of the Eucharist falls under Part II ("The Celebration of the Christian Mystery") Chapter I ("The Sacraments of Christian Initiation") Article III ("The Sacrament of the Eucharist"). Twenty-five pages are spent on this sacrament, covering paragraphs 1322 to 1405. Specifically, our teaching that Christ is bodily present in the Eucharist is expounded in paragraphs 1373 to 1377.

Quoting documents from the Council of Trent, paragraph 1374: "In the most blessed sacrament of the Eucharist 'the body and blood, together with the soul and divinity, of our Lord Jesus Christ, and, therefore, the whole Christ is truly, really, and substantially contained.' "

Going again to the index at the back of the Catechism, I searched under "sacrilege," and it brought me to this teaching:

Paragraph 2120: "Sacrilige is a grave sin especially when committed against the Eucharist, for in this sacrament the true Body of Christ is made substantially present for us."

After much thought and reading numerous postings and comments on other blogs, I agree that its best to use spiritual weapons against those who willingly and actively plan to desecrate the body of our Lord. Tomorrow at mass such disillusioned lost souls will be respectfully in my prayers.


[If there was one book I could commit to memory, aside from the Bible, it would be the Catechism. A really interesting blog post would be what that third book would be .... ]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I also bought a catechism (and a bible) about a year ago but I still have in the stack of unread books on my bed side table.I was embarrased to realize that as a Catholic I didn't have a copy of either one. Reading your blog has inspired me to start reading it seriously. As a product of 19 years of Catholic education---40 years ago---I think I need to refresh my memory as you point out. Thanks.