Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Politics

I used to be a political junkie, but that ended around 2006 or so. Now I’m thoroughly disgusted with the state of politics in America. I don’t have a candidate in ’08, so I’m probably going to go third party for the first time in my life. That is, if there’s a third party candidate that comes anywhere near my moral, economic, and political beliefs. What’s important to LE this election cycle?

* Cut my taxes. My family’s not wealthy, especially in the neck of the woods where we live, but you wouldn’t know it by the way politicians classify us. Get your hands off of my wallet! You’re taking enough – I have two children to put through college and a retirement to start planning for.

* Allow regulated drilling for oil. I’m not a gung-ho Rockefeller rape-the-land capitalist. But we need to end this environmental insanity and allow oil and energy companies to start drilling. As long as they play by the rules, we should allow them to become a bargaining chip against our two-faced allies and enemies that work hand-in-hand in OPEC.

* End judicial activism. Stop remolding society in your image, O Black Robed Masters! In every single poll homosexual “marriage” fails to gain a majority, yet these policy-setting social-engineering judges are bent on gradually enacting a false morality in this country.

* Transition out of Iraq. I’m no foreign policy wonk. But it’s been five years now; we need to disentangle ourselves. C’mon George, I supported you back in ’03, but now I’ve come to the opinion you and your guys aren’t too sure how to get out. Or maybe you don’t want to, for all I know. But I’m not naïve to suggest a quick, by-such-and-such-date-we’re-outta-there-completely-no-soldiers-no-support deadline. Let’s say we phase out over ten years, shrinking our presence and our financial aid ten percent each year. And we leave X amount of military bases there, just in case. Surely the Iraqi government could develop its forces with that timetable, no? Put it or something like it into law.

* Oh, and while we’re at it, no more “bringing democracy to other lands.” That’s a failed doctrine, one only an Oliver Stone-like military-industrial complex would salivate over, and I don’t think we want to continue in that direction.

* And bring us Bin Laden – alive. Don’t make a martyr of him, but don’t leave him free and untouched, a perpetual boogeyman to keep this idiotic “war on terror” alive. It’s not a war on terror. It’s a war to get Bin Laden, and get him we must. We are morally obligated to do so. We owe it to over three thousand souls.

Well, there’s my rant on national politics. Don’t expect any further posts on it until, say, November 5, 2008. I do believe we are on an unalterable course to see Obama elected, and will suffer a purgatorial next four years. I’d like to thrive, but something tells me it’ll be more likely “survive.” And yes, I will be keeping both hands tightly gripped on my wallet.

No comments: