Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Reason?

I know what I should do to be happy.

Do you? I think you do. I think we all do. It may take a bit of digging, a bit of searching and exploration, but I think if you gave someone a pencil and paper and set the egg timer for three minutes and say: “Write down what will make you happy!” that sheet will be filled with all sorts of answers.

But why don’t I do it? That is, why don’t I do those things that will make me happy, or at least lead to the future realization of happiness? Why?

Let’s assume X will make you happy. It could be anything from a new career, traveling through an exciting country, getting season tickets to your favorite team, getting married, even doubling your salary, though we all know that money as an end does not bring happiness. It doesn’t matter what X is, as long as you have defined it perfectly, meditated on it, and decided, “yes, X will make me happy.”

I have a short list of four X’s.

Anyway, we’re all intelligent. We all know, or can figure out, or can have someone tell us, what we need to do to obtain X. Let’s assume there are three conditions to be met or steps that must be done and presto! your precious X will be obtained or brought into reality. Do A + B + C and you’ll have X, and, presumably, happiness.

So far so good. I know what I need to do to bring my four X’s to reality. (Though they’re a bit more involved than just A + B + C and depend on some factors that are beyond my control. But for simplification, let’s stick with the A + B + C.)

Reason would simply tell you, “Do A, then B, then C, and you will have X.” We’re all reasonable, right? This makes sense. It’s logical, no?

So why don’t I do it?

There could be a variety of factors. Perhaps I really don’t want X. Perhaps A or B or C or their chain won’t lead to X. Maybe completing A, B, and/or C is beyond my ability. I’ve given this some thought, and I’ve come to the conclusion that, yes, I want X. And, yes, A, B, and C have to be done, as well as all the other items in the chain leading to X. Sure, the task is daunting and frightening, but the rewards will be worth it. Yes, some items are beyond my ability, but I’ve stretched before and surprised myself with what I can accomplish. To continue toward the point I’m driving at, let’s assume we want X, and A + B + C will lead to X, and we can actually do A and B and C.

Why don’t we do it?

After all, we all understand reason. And it’s simple. Do A, then B, then C, and you will have X. We want X, and we can do A, B, and C.

Why don’t we do it?

Inertia? Well-grounded self-defeating bad habits? A lack of determination and self-discipline? Interference from others? Emotional incapacity? Insufficient passion for X thrown in the mix?

Yes, these all contribute. But doesn’t reason tell us that inertia can be overcome? Bad habits, with a little effort and consistency, can be overcome? Isn’t it logical that with some thought and effort we can convert others to our cause? Fear can be overcome – slowly, progressively, incrementally if necessary? Doesn’t reason tell us that if we keep our eyes on the prize, on our X, if it is our true X, the passion will be there?

Still, we don’t do it. Why?

I am becoming more and more convinced of one simple thing. It has to be the only answer. It is simply this: we are not reasonable beings.

We say we are, but not one of us is. Western civilization, from the dawn of philosophy in Greece, up until fairly modern times, prides itself on reason. The power of the mind to think clearly, dispassionately, focused on itself and its environment, bringing both under its control. Reason. Whether combined with faith, or combined with emotion, it is there, supreme, in each and every single one of us, awaiting simply for us to yield to it and allow it to bring forth truth, beauty and goodness in our lives and our world.

Perhaps I’m committing the intellectual sin of extropolating out from my own life. Perhaps I’m suffering from blind spots or not being rigorously honest. As for the lack of reason in the lives of others, all I can offer is anecdotal and experiential evidence. Yeah, reason’s there, somewhere, but it doesn’t have the place it should have, or is said to have, in our lives.

None of us is reasonable. What are we? An organic and immaterial bag of emotions, of passions, of habits, of vices and virtues, of faith and beliefs chosen or chosen for us, but not of reason. Yes, I can be reasonable solving a math equation. I can even be reasonable solving an interpersonal problem at work. But when it comes to myself, when it comes to ourselves, we are incapable of reason.

Apologies for this rambling, semi-formed, pessimistic lecture. My thoughts are still trying to fall into some order. Two major questions remain. One, if not reason, then what else is there? And two, how can we ever get anything done if we are incapable of submitting to reason?

No comments: