Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Quotations

For the longest time now I’ve been contemplating putting some relevant quotations somewhere on this blog, probably somewhere near the top at the right. It’s a fairly involved project, to be honest. I want the quotes to be broadly representative of my interests; I also want them to be moving and wise. Now, I don’t have a shortage of quotes; I’ve always been a stealth quote-catcher. The problem is that I have really bad organizational skills. I have a three-year old Dell PC, a nine-year-old Toshiba laptop, a couple of desk drawers, and an untold number of manilla folders (none filed away where they should be), all containing quotations that fulfill the above requirements. So, for this entry, I just went through a couple of docs on my laptop (about thirty), and found these:


Let him that would move the world, first move himself. – Socrates

The quality of your life will be determined by the depth of your commitment to excellence, no matter what your chosen field. – Vince Lombardi.

Imagination is more important than facts. – Albert Einstein

If you do not write for publication, there is little point in writing at all. – George Bernard Shaw

Do not be satisfied with mediocrity. Put out into the deep and let down your nets for a catch. – Pope John Paul II


Not bad, right? Some kick my butt to write more and better, some make me want to do much more radical things to really live up to my potential. Not an exhaustive list, but these are representative of quotes I like best, ones that I want to honor with a place of prominence on my blog desktop. Well, more to follow as I keep hunting through my files of junk. I know there’s some mind-bending stuff from Voltaire somewhere …

No comments: