Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Flat-out Stupidity

Back in those carefree 80s, my old pal Rich commented on a couple of celebrities forced to declare bankruptcy after tumbling from the heights of having it all. “Just give me a million dollars,” he finished. “I promise I won’t lose it. Not a cent.”

Well, maybe yes, maybe no. Sometimes it isn’t up to you, Ricardo, as we’re seeing in today’s economic climate. As I’ve been seeing monitoring my 401k account. But I agree with the gist of his remark. How can you lose it all? How can you throw it all away?

I just finished reading a newspaper article on Plaxico Burress’ current legal problems. I shake my head. What’s wrong with people like him? They have it all, often just handed to them, and they just don’t care. They think the rules don’t apply to them. Or perhaps they’re just too damn stupid to be entrusted with all the money and glory we give to them.

Do you know how much a million dollars is? Really? It’s $2,739.73 a day. A DAY! That’s a monthly mortgage payment where I live. In a couple days I could pay off all my credit card debt. One day would take care of my annual heating and electric bill. And the New York Giants reward this dope with a renegotiated contract worth $35,000,000 over 5 years. True, Burress was responsible for the game-winning TD in last years’ Super Bowl. True, despite an ankle injury, he was still the Giants’ top receiver last year. True, he’s routinely double-covered and still makes big plays. I don’t begrudge the man his money; I think he’s earned it.

It’s his flat-out stupidity that I can’t wrap my brain around.

I mean, $35 million! Let’s be simplistic in our calculations and break it down to $7 million a year. That’s equivalent to receiving $19,178.11 a day. A DAY! I’d fall on my knees and weep with joy to see that much of an increase over the course of a year. So that’s what this guy Burress is making, and all he can do is … everything he can do to see that he loses it all. Domestic disturbance calls. Restraining orders taken out against him. Failing to report police incidents to the NFL per league rules. Faking an injury. Carrying a loaded, unregistered weapon across state line and firing it in a crowded club where alcohol is present. Shooting himself in the thigh (instead of, thank God, an innocent bystander in the head or some such). Trying as best he can to get treatment while skirting laws requiring the reporting of gunshot wounds. I guess Plaxico doesn’t really value that daily 19 grand he’s earning. Maybe he thinks the money will always be there. Who knows?

I don’t know him, obviously, so don’t take this mini-rant as some sort of personal attack. What I’m trying to fathom is why anyone would act in this way when they’re making this much money. I mean, really, why?

I can’t come up with an answer, other than stupidity. Short-sightedness, instant gratification, hedonistic tendencies, peer pressure, who knows what else, but it all falls under the blanket term “stupidity.”

I think I’m with Rich on this one. Just give it to me. I won’t do anything bad. I promise.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Will you SHARE? Sharing is good, very, very good! J-