Friday, December 5, 2008

Top 25 SF Movies

Saw this link on a blog I frequent, and was instantly intrigued:

Top 25 Best Sci-Fi Movies of All Time

Spending about fifteen minutes in between notarizing this and signing that, answering this call and handing out this Fedex, I came up with my own impromptu list of the Top 25. However, my list should be qualified not as the “Greatest” but more like “My Favorite Bestest,” though I’m sure there’s some overlap.

Here’s my list in no order except as they came to me, again, I stress, off the top of my head with no cheating.

Alien
Aliens
The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)
Earth vs. the Flying Saucers
This Island Earth

Star Wars
Close Encounters
The Empire Strikes Back
The Return of the Jedi
The Blob

The Matrix
Star Trek: First Contact
Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan
War of the Worlds (1953)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1957)

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
Godzilla (1951)
Godzilla vs. King Kong
The Thing (1951)
The Thing (1982)

Escape from New York
It Came from Beneath the Sea
The Road Warrior
Signs
Jurassic Park


Now, let’s see how I did.

10 on my list were on their top 25. But, 7 of my top-10 agreed with their top-10. What does this say? That after a pretty much indisputable ten or so flicks things can get pretty subjective. I’m scratching my head over some of their later picks. I mean, Galaxy Quest? Good movie, yes, and funny, too, but top 25 of all time? Tron? 12 Monkeys? Brazil? These are part of the Top 25 Sci-Fi Movies of All Time?

My biggest head-slapping faux pas was leaving off the Terminator movies. Yes, they definitively belong on any sane fan’s list. Both of them, though I’m more than a little partial to T2. And I’d include Predator in there, somewhere, too. I’d probably put T2 and Predator on my list and take off the first Invasion of the Body Snatchers movie and It Came from Beneath the Sea. Both were childhood favorites, but I think they’d both respectfully relinquish their place on my list to Arnold’s two flicks.

Well, that was interesting. Now, back to work. Where’d my stapler go?

No comments: