Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Disgust

… and resignation …

Consider:

“A democracy can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most money from the public treasury.”

- Alexander Fraser Tyler, The Decline and Fall of the Athenian Republic


I believe we passed this tipping point Tyler writes about. I think it most likely began during FDR’s New Deal, solidified under LBJ’s Great Society, and is reaching culmination in Obama’s Hope and Change.

How do you possibly fight against such a slippery slope?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I see 3 potential outcomes for the USSA. 2 are extremely farfetched. The last 1 is the most likely.

1. balkanization of the USSA. Regionalization may occur as states decide they no longer want to be directed by Washington. Candidates to secede are teh south, Texas and the West excluding the Pacific coast states. BTW, the top Americanologist in the Kremlin has predicted this will occur in the next 5-10 years.

2. Coup d'etat. If a military is snubbed will they decide to take matters into their own hands and take over a treasonous government.

3. We all just sit back like the pathetic lemmings we are and take it. It really doesnt matter who gets elected because the political class does not care about you, me or the national good. They care about the next election cycle. This is what we have created through group-victimization. The ballot box does not really matter.

LE said...

I hate to say it, but in the aftermath of the whole health care nonsense these past few days, me and C have been talking about the possibilities of, not necessarily #1 or #2, but the feeling that something BIG and BAD is looming on the not-too-faraway horizon. Scary, all this uncertainty ...

LE said...

Maybe I'll try to elaborate on my original post for tomorrow's entry. Rack my brain and see if I can come up with anything.

Anonymous said...

Here is my biggest fear. With the unfettered spending by our local and federal governments, and a significant portion of our debt owned by a philosophical enemy (China), when do they decide to "roll the dice" with a multi-prong attack consisting of military, economic and cyber warfare? I fear they are walking down that path. And Obama will apologize. Oh by the way, I forgot to sign the response, but the response above is mine in case you hadnt figured that out.

Uncle