Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Lost and Found


Let’s say your wife or girlfriend is traveling, staying at a hotel, and she’s carrying some jewelry in one of those little, hand-sized pouches. When you return home a few days later, she discovers that the little bag o’ jewels is missing. She searches through all her luggage and laundry frantically and comes up empty. It’s also not anywhere to be found in the house, the driveway, or the car.

So she calls the hotel and asks to speak to the person in charge of Lost and Found.

This made me wonder.

What percentage of the population, finding such a pouch of jewelry, would return it to the hotel’s Lost and Found?


***


Well?


***


My initial response, which I can’t justify adjusting upwards or downwards, is 30 percent. Do you agree or not? Does this make me a pessimist, or a realist? Would it matter if my wife was traveling abroad? Our country is supposed to be anywhere from 80 to 95 percent Christian / believing in a deity. Should I revise my estimate upwards based on that, or something else?


***


One of the 30-percenters found my wife’s jewelry, by the way …

No comments: