Monday, November 22, 2010

Dates of Creation

I was thumbing through a pop-sci book on all things “universe”, and came across a couple of figures I found interesting. Of course, the dates from a faith-based point of view are presented with a smug smirk, but I post them here in a spirit of ecumenical “what if?” as in, “what if?” someone thinking along the edges of Philip K. Dick was right?


c. 13.5 billion years ago – Big Bang, date commonly accepted by the contemporary scientific community as the creation of the universe.

c. 4.6 billion years ago – Date commonly accepted by the contemporary scientific community as the formation of the planet Earth.

5508 BC – Year of Creation per the Eastern Orthodox Church (date adopted seventh century AD).

5490 BC – Year of Creation per early Syrian Christians.

4004 BC – Year of Creation as reckoned by Irish priest James Ussher in 1650 AD.

3760 BC – Year of Creation per the Hebrew calendar c. fifteenth century AD.


I like to think that the universe was created the second before I wrote this … or this … or this … or – … and everything that came before has been programmed into my mind – rather, my brain, floating in a vat on an alien starship in the transvoid tween the Milky Way and Andromeda.

No comments: