Thursday, February 3, 2011

On the Border


Hey, are you familiar with that old Eagles song “On the Border”? I had an epiphany a few months ago that just came back to mind last night. I think that song would make an awesome opening theme song for one of those TBS or TNT or whatever cable shows. You know, one of those “characters welcome” teevee shows that are allowed to be a little extra violent and deviant because they reside on the higher channels of your television remote.

I dig the “on the border” theme and all the images that that conjures up. And the final line in the chorus about “turning water into wine” fits nicely with my messianic complex. Still, though, it’s kinda silly when you listen to it and realize it’s about a bunch of hippies trying to be all defiant, shaking their fists to the powers that be, to Nixon, to “the Man.” But I like it regardless, more than ever now especially that said hippies have become “the Man.”

[As an unrelated aside, Jack Black’s goofy movie School of Rock has one of the greatest socio-political discourses on “the Man” that I have ever encountered.]

No comments: